Last Updated on Sunday, 15 August 2010 02:11 Written by J.Sebulsky-CIO/DTC Sunday, 15 August 2010 02:11
Requirements of the Children’s Internet Proctection Action (CIPA)
CIPA requirements include the following three items:
1. Technology Protection Measure
A technology protection measure is a specific technology that blocks or filters Internet access. It must protect against access by adults and minors to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or — with respect to use of computers with Internet access by minors — harmful to minors. It may be disabled for adults engaged in bona fide research or other lawful purposes. For school use, the policy must also include monitoring the online activities of minors.
2. Internet Safety Policy
The Internet safety policy must address the following issues:
- Access by minors to inappropriate matter on the Internet.
- The safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications.
- Unauthorized access including hacking and other unlawful activities by minors online.
- Unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors.
- Measures designed to restrict minors’ access to materials harmful to minors.
3. Public Notice and Hearing
The authority with responsibility for administration of the school/district must provide reasonable public notice and hold at least one public hearing to address a proposed technology protection measure and Internet safety policy.
Three sections follow:
- Best Practices for Appropriate use of Technology – details at a minimum what employees and students should and should not do as well as the guidance of Digital Citizenship;
- Acceptable Use Policy Guidelines – provides general direction and guidance to districts for the formulation, implementation and maintenance of Acceptable Use Policies;
- Resources (right sidebar) – an annotated list of web sites and other information related to acceptable use policies, helpful information for parents, and Internet filtering.
- AUP Policies/Procedures
- Meet the Staff
- Technology Catalog